Luke Allen, Julianne Williams, Nick Townsend, Bente Mikkelsen, Nia Roberts, Charlie Foster, Kremlin Wickramasinghe (United Kingdom) - Research Article
824. Socioeconomic status and non-communicable disease behavioural risk factors in low-income and lower-middle-income countries: a systematic review
Learn about new information on the links between SES and NCDs in different countries around the world.
David A Shoham, Lara R Dugas, Pascal Bovet, Terrence E Forrester, Estelle V Lambert, Jacob Plange-Rhule, Dale A Schoeller, Soren Brage, Ulf Ekelund, Ramon A Durazo-Arvizu, Richard S Cooper, Amy Luke (United States) - Research Article
694. Association of car ownership and physical activity across the spectrum of human development: Modeling the Epidemiologic Transition Study (METS)
See how car ownership is linked with physical activity levels in this study from Ghana, South Africa, Jamaica, Seychelles and the U.S.
Justin Richards, Charlie Foster (Uganda) - Research Article
581. Sport-for-Development Interventions: Whom Do They Reach and What Is Their Potential for Impact on Physical and Mental Health in Low-Income Countries?
Learn about the types of participants reached in a sport-for-development intervention for young people in a post-conflict setting in Uganda.
Adewale L. Oyeyemi, Benedicte Deforche, James F. Sallis, Ilse De Bourdeaudhuij and Delfien Van Dyck (Nigeria) - Research Article
499. Behavioral Mediators of the Association Between Neighborhood Environment and Weight Status in Nigerian Adults
Learn about how the built envirnonment is linked to weight of people in Nigeria.
Damilola A. Alawode and British Journal of Sports Medicine (Nigeria) - Website
444. Physical inactivity in Nigeria: A short analysis (part 2 of 2)
In Part 2 of this blog from a GP in Nigeria, published on the British Journal of Sports Medicine website, read about policies and programs to combat the problem of physical inactivity.
British Medical Journal (Nigeria) - Newsletter
437. Physical inactivity in Nigeria: Part 1
Read about the problem of physical inactivity in Nigeria in this blog from a GP, published on the British Medical Journal website.
Oyeyemi AL, Adegoke BO, Sallis JF, Oyeyemi AY, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (Nigeria) - Research Article
429. Perceived crime and traffic safety is related to physical activity among adults in Nigeria
Previous research has explored the association between crime, traffic safety and physical activity, but seldom in low-middle income countries. In a first of its kind, this study documents whether perceived neighbourhood safety is associated with physical activity behaviours amongst Nigerian adults.
Herman Pontzer, David A. Raichlen, Brian M. Wood, Audax Z. P. Mabulla, Susan B. Racette, Frank W. Marlowe (United States) - Research Article
413. Hunter-Gatherer Energetics and Human Obesity
This paper on the energy expenditure in Hunter Gather populations compares them with farmers and with western developed populations. The study is by a group of anthropologists from the USA. They measured the Hadza people, a Hunter Gather population in Northern Tanzania. This important work examines total energy expenditure (TEE) and possible reasons for obesity in industrialised society where energy expenditure is less than energy intake is greater.
Ian Cook (South Africa) - Research Article
387. Debate. How should steps per day be reported--a proposal using data from Africa
Take a look at physical activity levels in Africa measured using pedometers.
Alfa Muhihi, Marina Njelekela, Rose Mpembeni et al (Tanzania) - Research Article
195. Physical activity and cardiovascular disease risk factors among men in urban Mwanza, Tanzania
Learn about levels of physical activity and cardiovascular disease in Tanzania