Jancey, J., Holt, Anne-Marie., Lee, Andy., Kerr, Deborah., Robinson, Suzanne., Tang, Li., Anderson, A.S., Hills, Andrew., and Howat, Peter (Australia) - Research Article
841. Effects of a physical activity and nutrition program in retirement villages: a cluster randomised controlled trial
Learn about the effects of an intervention for older people in residential settings.
Kaitlin Atkinson, Samantha Lowe, Spencer Moore (Canada) - Research Article
756. Human development, occupational structure and physical inactivity among 47 low and middle income countries
Learn about the links between occupation type and physical activity in this new global study.
Rochelle M Eime, Melanie J Charity, Jack T Harvey, Warren R Payne (Australia) - Research Article
706. Participation in sport and physical activity: associations with socio-economic status and geographical remoteness
Find out how physical activity and participation in almost 100 sports across Australia varies according to location of residence and social advantage.
Lisa K Micklesfield, Titilola M Pedro, Kathleen Kahn, John Kinsman, John M Pettifor, Stephen Tollman and Shane A Norris (South Africa) - Research Article
609. Physical activity and sedentary behavior among adolescents in rural South Africa: levels, patterns and correlates
Find out about the determinants of physical activity and sedentary behavior in rural South African adolescents.
Herman Pontzer, David A. Raichlen, Brian M. Wood, Audax Z. P. Mabulla, Susan B. Racette, Frank W. Marlowe (United States) - Research Article
413. Hunter-Gatherer Energetics and Human Obesity
This paper on the energy expenditure in Hunter Gather populations compares them with farmers and with western developed populations. The study is by a group of anthropologists from the USA. They measured the Hadza people, a Hunter Gather population in Northern Tanzania. This important work examines total energy expenditure (TEE) and possible reasons for obesity in industrialised society where energy expenditure is less than energy intake is greater.
Ian Cook (South Africa) - Research Article
387. Debate. How should steps per day be reported--a proposal using data from Africa
Take a look at physical activity levels in Africa measured using pedometers.
Orana Regional Organisation of Councils (Australia) - Case Study
142. Sharing the Load to Shed the Load
The purpose of this booklet is to provide councils and communities with the information and encouragement needed to take a stance in addressing healthy weight and physical activity issues at bith loca land regional levels. This booklet features 6 physical activity projects that have worked well in Orana Region's rural communities to address overweight and obesity, improve self esteem, strengthen social connections and promote community action.
It also offers a section of information for Local Government and further helpful resources and contact details.
National Rural Health Alliance (Australia) - Guideline
201. Physical Activity in Rural Australia
The lack of physical activity is the fourth leading cause of disease and a major public health
concern in Australia. Latest statistics show that only 30 per cent of the Australian population have sufficient physical activity for health benefits. People living in rural and remote parts of Australia have even lower physical activity levels than those in major cities.
DA Crawford et al (Australia) - Research Article
63. Home and neighbourhood correlates of BMI among children living in socioeconomically disadvantage
A detailed understanding of the underlying drivers of obesity-risk behaviours is needed to inform prevention initiatives, particularly for individuals of low socioeconomic position who are at increased risk of unhealthy weight gain.
Tahna Pettman (Australia) - Case Study
119. eat well be active Community Programs - Final Report
Concern over the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children has resulted in the emergence of community-based obesity prevention initiatives. SA Health funded the eat well be active Community Programs (ewba) as a demonstration project of such an approach.